An Internal audit is a robust approach to an external review of clinical areas for health services. The key people involved includes the independent accredited internal auditor, chosen by the health service and an appropriate independent clinical expert.
The report from the audit provides the board and management with usable objective information regarding the control of key risks, areas of focus and opportunities for improvement.
These set of resources and tools have been created to support your internal audit of clinical areas.
While the information is considered to be true and correct at the date of publication, changes in circumstances after the time of publication may impact on the accuracy of the Information. The Information may change without notice and VMIA is not in any way liable for the accuracy of any information printed and stored or in any way interpreted and used by a user.
Background reading includes:
- The Role of Internal Audit [PDF, 244KB]
- an overview of internal audit for clinical staff to promote understanding of the key processes of internal audit
- Internal Audit of Clinical Areas (IAC) for Boards and Internal Audit Committees [PDF, 245KB]
- an overview of the key processes in the internal audit of clinical areas for board members and audit committees
- Internal Audit of Clinical Areas (IAC) Guideline [PDF, 422KB]
- detailed guidelines informing the internal audit of clinical areas with policy, procedure and audit templates.
Organisation Information Kit
Internal Audit of Clinical Areas (IAC) Organisational Kit [PDF, 234KB]
- the key documents and templates needed by health services and internal auditors to undertake an internal audit of a clinical area. The kit comes with the following attachments:
Attachment 1: Internal Audit Clinical tools (IACT)
Generic Internal Audit Clinical Tool (G.IACT) [DOCX, 1.16MB]
- a generic template for the internal audit of a clinical area that can be contextualised to most clinical areas.
- ED/UCC Internal Audit Clinical Tool (ED.IACT) [PDF, 429KB]
- the IACT contextualised for use in Emergency Departments and Urgent Care Centres
- Maternity Services Internal Audit Clinical Tool (MAT IACT) [DOCX, 1.04MB]
- the IACT contextualised for use in Maternity Services
Attachment 2: Data Collection Tools for recording data for Part Four of the IACT tools
ED/UCC Internal Audit Clinical Tool Data Collection Sheet [PDF, 38KB]
- to be used in conjunction with the ED.IACT
- Maternity Services Internal Audit Clinical Tool Data Collection Sheet [PDF, 47KB]
- to be used in conjunction with the MAT IACT