Cyber security is defined as the protection of systems, networks and data in cyberspace. It is a critical issue for all organisations because it is central to protecting against things like cyber fraud.
The number of cyber incidents is continually rising: Australia is the second most targeted country in the Asia Pacific region and of the sectors most targeted, government is the highest at 28%.
As a government organisation – no matter what your size – you hold sensitive information, or information about Victoria and Victorians, that everyone in your organisation is responsible for protecting.
VMIA’s cyber cover
VMIA’s Cyber Insurance policy covers your organisation for expenses related to your data breach responses. Your department, agency (or hospital) and its directors, officers and employees are all covered. To find out more visit our Cyber Insurance page.
- Access the Department of Premier and Cabinet's ‘Think before you Click’ cyber awareness materials How to become a phishing detective [PDF, 2.05 Mb] and Is cyber security a priority for your organisation? [PDF, 1.37 Mb]
- Download VMIA's cyber conversation starters for your Board [PDF, 202KB]
- Sign-up to VMIA Cyber Resilience Foundations
We have provided a series of resources to help you combat the cyber risks which may exist for your organisation. The help on offer ranges from insights into cyber security to tools which can help you manage cyber risks within your organisation.
The resources listed below provide a good overview of the latest global and local data, insights and research on cyber:
- Cyber resilience good practices
- REP 555 Cyber resilience of firms in Australia’s financial markets - Released 30 November 2017
- ASX 100 Cyber Health Check Report, Capturing the Opportunities while managing the threats - Released April 2017
- Hackers are causing blackouts. It's time to boost our cyber resilience, World Economic Forum - Released 29 March 2019
- AI raises the risk of cyberattack – and the best defence is more AI, World Economic Forum - Released 4 April 2019
- The Complete List of Data Breaches In Australia For 2018 and 2019, Weber Insurance Services - Released March 2019
- Toyota Australia hit by cyber attack, IT News - Released 21 February 2019
- NIST Framework - Released 2014
- Victorian Protective Data Security Framework, VPDSF
- Security on Critical Infrastructure Control Systems for Trains, Victorian Auditor-General’s Office - Released 9 November 2016
- Senior Defence figure raises concerns about future cyber attacks — and the scenario costing him sleep, ABC News - Released 19 February 2019
- Australian Data Breach List – released January 2018
VMIA Cyber Training can be accessed here (Risk Advisers and Clients can attend)
Cyber Incident Response Service
When a cyber incident or suspect a cyber breach may have taken place, government organisations should contact the Department of Premier and Cabinet (DPC) Cyber Incident Response Service (CIRS) immediately.
Contact CIRS on: 1300 CSU VIC / 1300 278 842