Your first priority is to take immediate steps to safeguard employees and the public by removing them from the vicinity of the damage. This should be done before attempting to secure property and premises.

You should not return unless you have ensured it is safe to do so. This includes disconnecting power to damaged premises, ensuring that hazards such as fallen trees, loose or broken roof tiles and sheeting are isolated and removed, and excess water has run off (in the case of a flood).

Carry out emergency repairs, to make premises safe and secure as a priority. Repair costs will be met by under the terms of your policy.

Be prepared for an emergency

Make use of the following resources:

State Emergency Service (SES)

The State Emergency Service provides guides and checklists to prepare properties and businesses for floods and storms. Also included are tips for staying safe during an event and what to do afterwards.

Vic Emergency  app (EMV)

The VicEmergency app provides Victorians with access to warnings and incidents for fires, floods, storms, earthquakes, tsunamis and water safety.

Country Fire Authority (CFA)

The Country Fire Authority produces a range of guides for bushfire preparation, including planning tools for organisations.

Department of Health

The Department of Health has information and resources about emergency assistance.  

FAQs for dealing with emergencies

Read our frequently asked questions about dealing with emergencies.  

Emergency claims procedure when travelling overseas

If you require urgent medical assistance or hospitalisation, help with replacing a lost or stolen passport and/or assistance with arranging an evacuation following a natural disaster, please contact AHI Assist, a 24/7 travel assistance company and emergency hotline.

Phone: by reverse charge  +61 2 8330 1222


To ensure immediate assistance, please provide the following details to AHI Assist:

  • Policy number: 19096
  • Your contact details
  • Name of the organisation, department or agency that you are travelling on behalf of
  • Description of the assistance you require.

For all non-emergency travel claims, you can complete a claim form and submit upon return to Australia.

After-hours emergency claims advice

We provide after-hours advice for clients, where required, for the following situations:

  • clinical emergencies that cannot otherwise be managed under your Health Service’s guidelines for critical incident management
  • cases involving both a significant emergency and major property loss — examples include catastrophic flood or fire damage to public utilities, and events involving loss or damage to rail infrastructure or rolling stock.

In such emergencies, you can contact us on (03) 9270 6888.