VMIA’s Combined Liability insurance covers your organisation for legal and professional liabilities arising from negligence or a breach of your professional duties which result in personal injury, property damage or financial loss to third parties.
While conducting your business activities, you may receive a claim for personal injury, property damage or financial loss from a client, member of the public or another organisation. Defending these claims, even if you are not at fault, can result in costly legal expenses.
Your department or agency, its directors, officers and employees, volunteers and people that represent your business.
- Legal liability to pay compensation for personal injury to third parties arising from your business activities or goods
- Legal liability to pay compensation for damage to third party property arising from your business activities and goods
- Legal liability to pay compensation for advertising liability
- Legal costs associated with the defence of claims made against you.
Financial losses suffered by third parties because of:
- A breach of professional duty
- An act, error or omission
- Misleading or deceptive conduct
- Libel, slander or defamation.
This is a brief overview of the policy only. Please refer to the policy wording below for full details of cover and exclusions.
The PEER Program forms part of Safer Care Victoria’s (SCV) Incident Response Program. It provides a centralised pool of independent panel members that health services can invite to participate in serious or sentinel event review work - for example, on a root cause analysis (RCA) panel. Read the Frequently Asked Questions [PDF, 498KB]
- Combined Liability Policy Overview
- 2020-2021 Combined Liability Policy [PDF, 897KB]
- 2021-2022 Combined Liability Policy [PDF, 960KB]
Combined Liability Policy Update
Insuring Clause 1.1.3 - Formal Investigation and Representation Expenses
Sub-limit of $50,000,000 has been applied, per claim and in the aggregate. Applicable for every client
- Client’s equivalent Professional Liability deductible will now apply.
- Cover provided on ‘claims made and notified basis’
- Formal Investigation and Representation Expenses definition amended to further clarify cover for clients.
- Professional Services definition amended to further clarify cover for clients.
- Professional Services Claim definition amended to further clarify cover for clients.
- Mitigation Costs Extension (1.2.13) amended to further clarify cover for clients.
- Exclusion 2.8: Fines and Penalties amended to further clarify cover for clients.
- Exclusion 2.12: Performance amended to further clarify cover for clients.
- Exclusion 2.13: Pollutants – amended to further clarify cover for clients.
Changes made to the VMIA Combined Liability Insurance Policy for 2021-2022 can be found here.
For more information about your insurance policies, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.