Directors and Officers Liability insurance covers your organisation's directors and officers for third party claims arising from their actions and decisions while acting in an official capacity.
Defending these claims can be lengthy, expensive and often requiring additional resources. This policy features financial support throughout.
- Board members, directors and executive officers of a public body
- Any other person concerned in, or who takes part in the management of a public body.
- Costs of legal action for a covered claim brought against directors and officers
- Advance payment of legal and other defence costs
- Legal costs and expenses relating to investigations and raids
- Costs of challenging extradition or deportation
- Costs of protecting your ability to act as a director or officer
- Costs to mitigate adverse effects of reputation in the media
- Automatic run-off cover
- Pollution cover — subject to policy sub-limit
- Outside directorships — for those required to sit on an external board at the request and authorisation of their employer
- Employment practices violation.
Industrial manslaughter reforms in Victoria
The Workplace Safety Legislation Amendment (Workplace Manslaughter and other matters) Bill 2019 passed Parliament on 26 November 2019 and will come into effect on 1 July 2020.
What does this mean for your Directors and Officers Liability cover?
The reforms make it a criminal offence for a body corporate or an individual officer to breach a duty of care under the Occupational Health & Safety legislation, in circumstances where there was a high risk of death, serious injury or illness and the breach caused the victim’s death.
Criminal conduct is uninsurable at law. Conduct that constitutes an offence under the reforms will not be covered by the policy.
Defence costs and legal representation expenses will be covered in relation to an investigation into such conduct until a finding or adjudication of criminal negligence under the corporate manslaughter provisions is made and then cover will immediately cease.
Please visit WorkSafe for more information regarding the reforms.
- 2020-2021 Directors and Officers Liability Policy [PDF, 822KB]
Directors and Officers Liability Policy update
- View changes made to the VMIA Directors and Officers Liability Insurance Policy for 2020-2021.
For more information about your insurance policies, contact us at email@example.com.