Skip to content

Check your cover and claims progress, any time

Register on the VMIA portal to:

  • view insurance products
  • apply for insurance
  • make a claim
  • check on claim progress
  • download certificate of currency
  • download policy documents
  • download policy wordings
  • update policy details
  • update contact details (if you have admin access).

Not yet registered?

All Victorian government schools are covered by our insurance purchased by the Department of Education (DE). However, this cover has several limitations which may not address risks for schools using this as their only level of protection.

We have developed insurance tailored to support School Councils. For more details, please read the below:

Frequently asked questions about School Councils Insurance, are available here:

If you need assistance to determine your total asset value, please read:

What should I do?

We recommend you review your school’s current risks and exposures, to decide whether you need additional insurance.

If your school has not received any insurance documentation, please log in to the portal to download or email us at

How to make a claim?

  • School Councils should log into the client portal and submit a claim as soon as possible for any circumstances or incidents that might result in a potential claim. If in doubt, please report it.
  • For all School Council insurance claims, which include Motor - Special Contingency Damage and Motor - Loss of No Claim Bonus (see below for claims relating to motor vehicle accidents involving school-owned vehicles) please log in to the client portal and follow the steps to submit a claim.
  • For motor vehicle accident claims involving school-owned vehicles, please log in to the client portal and you’ll be directed to Zurich Insurance Group’s website. When making a claim, please quote the claims reference number - 32 VMIA002 GFT.
  • If your vehicle needs towing, please call the Zurich Claims Team on 1800 611 372 (available 24 hours, 7 days a week).
  • For common questions regarding claims, please refer to the 2022-2023 School Councils Insurance Guide [PDF, 699KB] and our 2022-2023 frequently asked questions [PDF, 696KB] 2023-2024 frequently asked questions [PDF, 723KB].

What insurance cover is available?

This insurance provides a broad range of cover for School Councils and includes:


Covers physical loss or damage to School Council property (including electronic equipment) as a result of fire, storm, vandalism, burglary and accidental damage.

School Council property covers:

  • Buildings*, playground equipment, unregistered vehicles, leased office equipment, portable electronic equipment and all other contents (not otherwise insured) situated at the school
  • Shade sails, solar panels, artificial playing surfaces and fencing
  • Portable electronic equipment anywhere in Australia
  • Money - up to $10,000
  • Glass - replacement value
  • Business interruption - up to $100,000
  • Cost of re-writing records - up to $10,000.

*Buildings refers to over entitlement buildings that are partially/or fully owned by the school council.

The above items, up to the selected insured limits (refer to the 2022-2023 School Councils Insurance Guide [PDF, 699KB]) are covered under the School Council Property policy. If you need assistance to determine your total asset value, please download 2022-2023 How to select your insurance cover [XLSX, 1MB] 2023-2024 How to select your insurance cover [XLSX, 23KB].

Public and products liability for hall hirers and other users of school facilities

Covers venue hirers, community groups and other users of school facilities for their legal liability to third parties for personal injury or property damage arising out of activities at the school.

Group Personal Accident

Covers all enrolled students for accidental bodily injury that results in loss of life, permanent or temporary disablement, broken bones, or dental procedures.


Covers students and teachers for medical treatment, emergency medical evacuation, flight cancellation or lost luggage during overseas, interstate and intrastate (beyond 50km) school trips (excursions, camps, study trips).

School Council Motor Vehicle

Covers loss or damage to vehicles (sedans, light commercial vehicles, buses, and trailers) owned by your school and anyone who drives a vehicle for school business.

Motor - Special Contingency Damage

Covers damage to motor vehicles and motorcycles owned or leased by the Insured Persons while parked in the school’s car park. Claims under this cover are to be submitted directly to VMIA.

Motor – Loss of No Claim Bonus

Covers loss of ‘no claim bonus’ and ‘excess’ for designated staff and volunteers in the event of an accident where their comprehensively insured private vehicle was being used on authorised school business anywhere in Australia. Claims under this cover are to be submitted directly to VMIA.

More information

For the right advice on your risk exposure please email us at