All Victorian government schools are covered by our insurance purchased by the Department of Education and Training (DET). However, this cover has several limitations which may not address risks for schools using this as their only level of protection.
We have developed insurance tailored to support School Councils. For more details, please read the below:
- 2020-2021 School Councils Insurance Guide [PDF, 1.16MB]
Frequently asked questions about School Councils Insurance, are available here:
- 2020-2021 School Councils FAQs [PDF, 942KB]
If you need assistance to determine your total asset value, please read:
- How to select your insurance cover 2020-2021 [XLSX, 1023KB]
What should I do?
We recommend you review your school’s current risks and exposures, and decide whether additional insurance coverage is required to meet your needs.
If your school has not received any insurance documentation, please contact us on 9270 6990 or email email@example.com.
How to make a claim?
- School Councils should notify DET of any circumstances or incidents that might result in a potential claim as soon as possible. If in doubt, please report it.
- For all School Councils insurance claims, which include Motor - Special Contingency Damage and Motor - Loss of No Claim Bonus (see below for claims relating to motor vehicle accidents involving school-owned vehicles) please download the 2020-2021 claim form [DOCX, 128KB], complete and return to DET at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Department will contact you to confirm the next steps.
- Please use the same claim form for all other insurance policies for school councils underwritten by VMIA (excluding school-owned motor vehicle claims).
- For Motor Vehicle accident claims involving school-owned vehicles, please use the claim form on the Zurich website. When making a claim, please refer to the Master policy number - 32 VMIA002 GFT.
- For additional information about to how to make a motor vehicle claim and the claims process, please read the (2020-2021) School Councils - How to submit a motor claim to Zurich Insurance [PDF, 55KB].
- If your vehicle requires towing, please call the Zurich Claims Team on 1800 611 372 (available 24 hours, 7 days a week).
- For common questions regarding claims, please refer to the 2020-2021 School Councils Insurance Guide [PDF, 1.16MB] and our frequently asked questions [PDF, 942KB].
What insurance cover is available?
This insurance provides a broad range of cover for School Councils and includes:
Covers physical loss or damage to School Council property (including electronic equipment) as a result of fire, storm, vandalism, burglary and accidental damage.
School Councils property covers:
- Buildings*, playground equipment, unregistered vehicles, leased office equipment, portable electronic equipment and all other contents (not otherwise insured) situated at the school
- Shade sails, solar panels, artificial playing surfaces and fencing
- Portable electronic equipment anywhere in Australia.
- Money - up to $10,000
- Glass - replacement value
- Business interruption - up to $100,000
- Cost of re-writing records - up to $10,000
*Buildings refers to buildings that are over entitlement and/or fully owned by the school council.
The above items, up to the selected insured limits (refer to the 2020-2021 School Councils Insurance Guide [PDF, 1.16MB] are covered under the School Council Property policy. If you need assistance to determine your total asset value, please download How to select your insurance cover [XLSX, 1023KB].
- 2020-2021 Property Policy [PDF, 1.45MB]
Public and products liability for hall hirers and other users of school facilities
Covers venue hirers, community groups and other users of school facilities for their legal liability to third parties for personal injury or property damage arising out of activities at the school.
- 2020-2021 Public and Products Liability Policy [PDF, 869KB]
Group Personal Accident
Covers all enrolled students for accidental bodily injury that results in loss of life, permanent or temporary disablement, broken bones or dental procedures.
- 2020-2021 Group Personal Accident - School Students [PDF, 890KB]
School Council Motor Vehicle
Covers loss or damage to vehicles (sedans, light commercial vehicles, buses and trailers) owned by your school and anyone who drives a vehicle for school business.
- 2020-2021 Master Motor Vehicle Fleet Policy [PDF, 521KB]
Motor – Special Contingency Damage
Covers damage to motor vehicles and motorcycles owned or leased by the Insured Persons while parked in the school’s car park. Claims under this cover are to be submitted directly to VMIA.
Motor – Loss of No Claim Bonus
Covers loss of ‘no claim bonus’ and ‘excess’ for designated staff and volunteers in the event of an accident where their comprehensively insured private vehicle was being used on authorised school business anywhere in Australia. Claims under this cover are to be submitted directly to VMIA.
For the right advice on your risk exposure please email us at email@example.com.