CSO Insurance Guide and FAQs

The CSO Program is insurance coverage for eligible community service organisations funded by the Victorian Department of Health and Human Services, the Department of Justice and Regulation or other relevant departments, for example organisations working in aged care, community housing and neighbourhood houses. For more information about eligibility, please contact the local office of your relevant Victorian government department.

Insurance Program Overview

Personal Accident Insurance for Volunteers

Insurance For Events

Certificates of Currency


What cover is provided?

Public and Products Liability

Cover for your organisation to pay compensation for personal injury and/or property damage to third parties arising from your business activities.

2017 - 2018 Public and Products Liability Policy [PDF, 1.61MB]

Professional Indemnity

Cover for your organisation for an alleged breach of professional duty.

2017 - 2018 Professional Indemnity Policy [PDF, 1.52MB]

Directors and Officers Liability (including Entity Liability and Employment Practices Violation)

Cover for civil claims made against your organisation’s directors and officers (including employment related matters) while acting in their capacity representing your organisation.

2017 - 2018 Directors and Officers Liability Policy [PDF, 2.7MB]

Entity Fidelity

Cover for loss of your organisation’s money or other property arising from any dishonest or fraudulent act committed by an employee or volunteer of your organisation.

2017 - 2018 Entity Fidelity Policy [PDF, 1.3MB]

Personal Accident 

Cover for volunteers and eligible people within your organisation, whilst performing their duty, for accidental bodily injury that results in loss of life, permanent or temporary disablement.

2017 - 2018 Personal Accident Policy [PDF, 2.29MB]

Medical Indemnity

Cover for claims alleging negligence while providing health care services.

2017 - 2018 Medical Indemnity Policy [PDF, 1.41MB] 

Volunteer care givers

Cover for the property of volunteer care givers in the event that it is damaged by people in their care.

2017 - 2018 Volunteer Care Givers Policy  [PDF, 1.12MB]

The National Redress Scheme for Survivors of Institutional Child Sexual Abuse

Update 22 May 2018

The National Redress Scheme for Survivors of Institutional Child Sexual Abuse (the Scheme) is due to commence on 1 July 2018. The Victorian government announced its in principle agreement to opt in to the Scheme on 9 March 2018.

The Scheme will provide redress to people who have experienced institutional child sexual abuse. Redress will consist of access to psychological counselling, a direct personal response – such as an apology from the responsible institution for people who want it, and a monetary payment. Payments will be assessed on a case-by-case basis, reflecting the severity and impact of the abuse experienced, with a maximum payment of $150,000.

Currently, VMIA insurance policies do not cover redress payments.

However, in light of developments to the progress of the Bills relating to the National Redress Scheme for Survivors of Institutional Child Sexual Abuse through the Commonwealth Parliament, VMIA will review its position on redress payments when the Commonwealth legislation is finalised.

Enquiries relating to the Redress Scheme should be directed to the National Redress Information Line (ph: 1800 146 713). Organisations may also contact their funding body.

More information

For more information about your insurance policies email us at

Page last updated: 22 May 2018