School Councils Insurance
School Council Insurance Working for you
What do I need to know?
- All Victorian government schools are covered by VMIA insurance purchased by the Department of Education and Training, however this cover does have several limitations which can impact on the exposure for schools using this only level of protection.
- VMIA has developed insurance specifically to support School Councils – full details are available in the VMIA School Councils Insurance Guide [PDF, 274KB].
- More frequently asked questions about School Councils Insurance, are available here.
- If you need assistance to determine your total asset value, please download How to select your insurance cover [XLSX, 277KB]
What should I do?
We recommend you review your school’s current risks and exposures, and decide whether additional insurance coverage is required to meet your needs.
If your school has not received any insurance documentation, please contact us on 9270 6990 or email email@example.com
How to make a claim?
- School Councils should notify the Department of Education and Training (DET) of any circumstances or incidents that might result in a potential claim as soon as possible. If in doubt, please report it.
- For all School Councils insurance claims, including Motor - Special Contingency Damage and Motor - Loss of No Claim Bonus, (see below for claims relating to motor vehicle accidents involving school owned vehicles), please download the claim form [DOCX, 41KB], complete and return to the Department of Education and Training at firstname.lastname@example.org. The Department will contact you to confirm the next steps.
- Please use the same claim form for all other insurance policies for school councils underwritten by VMIA (excluding school owned motor vehicle claims).
- For Motor Vehicle accident claims involving school owned vehicles, please use the claim form on the Zurich website. When making a claim, please refer to the Master policy number - 32 2233885 GFT.
- For additional information in relation to how to make a motor vehicle claim and the claims process, please download the School Councils - How to submit a motor claim to Zurich Insurance [PDF, 3.3MB]
- If your vehicle requires towing, please call:
Zurich Claims Team
1800 611 372
24 HOURS - 7 DAYS A WEEK
- For common questions regarding claims, please refer to the School Councils Insurance Guide [PDF, 274KB] and our frequently asked questions.
What insurance cover is available?
Covers physical loss or damage to School Council property as a result of fire, storm, vandalism, burglary, accidental damage and extending to electronic equipment.
School Councils can select Essentials or EssentialsPlus package:
|Buildings*, playground equipment, unregistered vehicles, leased office equipment, portable electronic equipment and all other contents (not otherwise insured) situated at the school||Essentials / EssentialsPlus|
|Shade sails, solar panels, artificial playing surfaces and fencing||EssentialsPlus|
|Portable electronic equipment anywhere in Australia||EssentialsPlus|
*Buildings refers to buildings that are over entitlement and/or fully owned by the school council.
The above items, up to the selected insured limits (refer to VMIA School Councils Insurance Guide [PDF, 274KB]) are covered under the option selected. There is no need to take out separate policies. If you need assistance to determine your total asset value, please download ‘How to select your insurance cover’ [XLSX, 277KB].
Standard cover on this policy includes:
|Money||up to $10,000|
|Business interruption||up to $100,000|
|Cost of re-writing records||up to $10,000|
- 2017-2018 Property Policy [PDF, 1.7MB]
- 2017-2018 Property Policy Update [PDF, 1.76MB]
- 2017-2018 Simpler Insurance FAQs [PDF, 646KB]
Public and products liability for hall hirers and other users of school facilities
Covers venue hirers, community groups and other users of school facilities for their legal liability to third parties for personal injury or property damage arising out of activities at the school.
- 2017-2018 Public and Products Liability Policy [PDF, 2.12MB]
- 2017-2018 Public and Products Liability Policy Update [PDF, 152KB]
- 2017-2018 Simpler Insurance FAQs [PDF, 646KB]
Group Personal Accident
Covers all enrolled students for accidental bodily injury that results in loss of life, permanent or temporary disablement, broken bones or dental procedures.
- 2017-2018 Group Personal Accident - School Students [PDF, 251KB]
School Council Motor Vehicle
Covers loss or damage to vehicles (sedans, light commercial vehicles, buses and trailers) owned by your school and anyone who drives a vehicle for school business.
- 2017-2018 Master Motor Vehicle Fleet Policy [PDF, 288KB]
Motor – Special Contingency Damage
Covers damage to motor vehicles and motorcycles owned or leased by the insured persons while parked in the school’s car park.
Motor – Loss of No Claim Bonus
Covers loss of ‘no claim bonus’ and ‘excess’ for designated staff and volunteers in the event of an accident where their comprehensively insured private vehicle was being used on authorised school business anywhere in Australia.