Patient care can be complex and sometimes results in errors that may cause harm to patients. Health service providers may be held liable for personal injuries resulting in costly settlements and legal expenses if sued.
Medical indemnity insurance covers Victorian public health service providers in the event that there are claims for compensation for personal injuries.
- Injuries (physical and mental) to patients arising from errors, or negligence of registered health practitioners. while providing healthcare services.
- Injuries to patients arising from errors, or negligence of students, under the supervision of registered and experienced staff, while providing healthcare services.
- Liabilities arising from the administration of healthcare or first-aid at the scene of a medical emergency, accident or disaster, as a good representative of the general public.
- Legal costs and expenses for defence and settlement of claims, and
- participation in clinical trials and health and medical research.
- Employees of a Victorian health service.
- Registered health practitioners treating public patients.
- Students under the supervision of a registered health practitioner.
- Rural GPs and registrars under the separate 2018-2019 Rural GP Medical Indemnity Policy [PDF, 1.18MB]
This is a brief overview of policy features only. Please refer to policy wording below for full details of cover and exclusions.
Risk Rated Premiums
- Read about 2018-2019 Risk Rated Premiums [PDF, 74KB]
- 2018-2019 Medical Indemnity Policy [PDF, 1.18MB]
Rural General Practitioners
- 2018-2019 Rural GP Medical Indemnity Policy [PDF, 1.18MB]
- 2018-2019 Rural GP Medical Indemnity FAQs [PDF, 161KB]
- 2018-2019 Rural GP Cancellation Form [PDF, 39KB]
- 2018-2019 Rural GP Proposal Form [PDF, 124KB]
For more information about your insurance policies, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org