To make a claim or notify us of a potential claim either:
- Complete this claim form using either our PDF [162KB] or WORD [215KB] form and email to firstname.lastname@example.org or
- via the MI e-notification form within our Secure Client Portal or
- go to the online Medical Indemnity claim form
It is important to notify VMIA
- of any health care incident, occurrence, complaint, investigation, inquiry or disciplinary proceeding which may give rise to a medical indemnity claim, or
- if you receive a request for compensation for personal injury, arising directly out of a health care incident.
If you require assistance to complete the template or have questions about lodging the claim, please contact us on (03) 9270 6900.
What not to notify us about
- Near misses and minor incidents that are unlikely to give rise to a liability.
- FOI requests relating to TAC, WorkCover or crimes compensation applications.
- Occupational health and safety (OHS) incidents which do not involve the provision of care to a patient.
- Equipment unavailability/failures or infrastructure hazards where there is no adverse patient outcome.
- Documentation omissions where there is no adverse patient outcome.
- Audit/review findings where there is no adverse patient outcome.
External resources that may help you manage incidents
- Department of Health — Victorian Health Incident Management System e-learning package
- Department of Health — Open Disclosure e-learning package
- Office of the Health Service Commissioner — Guide to Complaint Handling in Health Care Services
Page last updated: 8 May 2018